Sunday, August 17, 2008

THE RE[A]D GARDEN

I love to read.
You do to if you’re visiting blogs.
I’ve been hoping to to do what I love this summer, but have barely cracked teh first book in the stack: Oliver sacks “ Oaxacan Journal”. If you’ve read any of Oliver sacks books ( “Awakenings”, which later became a movie, or my favorite, “ The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat”) you would be surprised to learn this articulate and noteworthy neurologist is a lso a fern lover. His trip to Oaxaca takes him on a fern foray with pteridologist and fern lovers into the jungles of southern Mexico. I don’t want to give away the plot but the telling is sweet and insight full , and coming from such an unlikely place a pleasant surprise on my summer reading list.
Here’s the list:
“The Tree” , John Fowles
“ Tree: A Life Story”, David Suzuki
“ The Tree” , Colin Tudge
“ Arboretum America”, Diana Beresford-Kroeger
[ are you noticing a dendrological bent developing?]
“ Dear Friend and Gardener”, Beth Chatto & Christopher Lloyd
“ The Art of Seeing Things”, collected essays, John Burroughs
“ Farms as Natural Habitat: Reconnecting Food Systems with Eco-Systems” Dana L. and Laura L. Jackson.
An ambitious list I know
What sort of ambition might it take to sit down to read, when there are blackberries and purple cabbage to pick?