Wednesday, August 4, 2010

LUCKY YOU



I know I was bragging a bit about my ability to find 4-leafed clovers - I actually found a 5-leafed clover this week along with a few more 4-leafed ones - but would you believe there is a guy in Alaska who has collected over 111,060 4-leafed clovers since 1999. Now ther's some luck!
And in Japan some one found a clover with 18 leaflets. I don't know if the luck is multiplied by the number of leaflets, or the rarity of the find but Shigeo Obara ended up in the Guinness Book of World Records. Not bad luck, I'd venture.
I know most of you aren't that lucky. Or obsessive/compulsive enough to scan every clover patch you encounter.
So there is always Marsilea mutica, the water clover fern. Pictured above is this lovely floating fern from Australia. If your not lucky enough to find it at your local pond supply store you can always find this purple 4-leafed version of the very common white clover.
You won't have to look to hard or long to find a 4-leafed clover in your garden then.
And it really does make you feel lucky.



( Trifolium repens 'Purpurascens Quadrifolium')