Thursday, January 15, 2009

IN BLOOM TODAY

I was expecting to find only the most reliable Winter bloomers to showing color today. After all the erratic weather we’ve been having it’s hard to imagine anything wanting to bloom. But beyond the determined there was also a few surprises. These photos were taken in a clients garden which could be considered zone 8 most years. At the farm zone 6.5, or worse, there is nothing blooming after the flood.


I wish I could photograph scent, this sweet box, Sarcococca ruscifolia showing both flowers and berries, is a real sweet wake up call this time of year.



Helleborus foetidus 'Chedglow' one of my favorite plants.

My favorite witchhazel, 'Jelena'. It's rusty colored flowers vanish in the winter garden so siting it in front of evergreens is crucial.


The big surprise today was this lonely daffodil, soon to be joined by others. Rijnveld's Early Sensation is the earliest blooming daffodil I know of, but January 15th, unheard of.